Tuesday 29 October 2013

Mary Seacole Award - end of project award

Dr Gloria Likupe's success in winning a Mary Seacole award was reported previously and on 24 October 2013 Gloria was presented with a successful  completion project certificate at the RCN office in London for her project 'A communication Model between Health Care Workers and Ethnic Minority Elders'.  The certificates were presented by Dean Royles, Chief Executive, NHS Employers and Jane Cummings, Chief Nursing Officer England. 


Dean Royles, Chief Executive, NHS Employers, Gloria
and Jane Cummings, Chief Nursing Officer England. 
Dr Gloria Likupe














Reflecting on the award, Gloria says:
Winning the Mary Seacole Leadership Award has been a highlight in my career. I have always had ideas on how I could influence the health care of people who may be disadvantaged in society and the Mary seacole award has started me on a journey to do this.  The Project I am working on concerns the exploration of communication processes between Health Care Works and Ethnic Minority Elders. From this exploration I have proposed a Communication Model which can be used by health care workers to enhance the care of ethnic minority elders and in so doing maintain their dignity. The project has also identified issues on training of health care workers in communication to enable them to provide culturally competent care.  I have already presented part of the project at the UK Phi Mu Chapter Inaugural Conference in Bournemouth. Other presentations and journal articles are planned.  The Mary Seacole award has enabled me to network with health care and social care providers and to hear, first hand, their views on communication.  I have developed my leadership skills and feel more energised to be a diversity champion generally and for older people in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment